Tuesday, April 08, 2008

"What are you making for supper?"

"What are you making for supper?", was a question that I used to ask my dad. In our home, my father cooked the day to day meals. My mother saved her culinary skills for company or special gourmet offerings. Dad, however, treated us with fried chicken and the world's best meat loaf. But one of my fondest memories is when he answered my query about the evening's fare with, "I am making purple ice cream." Purple Ice Cream or Grape Kool-Aid ice cream was a inexpensive treat. I made this delectable treat for my sons and looked forward to making the tasty treat for my grandchildren. Here our granddaughter is trying her first bite of Purple Ice Cream that may not have been invented by her great-grandfather, but in my mind and in my heart, he made the treat famous.


Purple Ice Cream
Ingredients:
1 can of evaporated milk
1 package unsweetened Grape Kool-Aid Mix
1 cup of cold water
1 cup of sugar
Directions:
1. Mix Kool-Aid, sugar, and water. Chill
2. Pour evaporated milk into 9" x 13" pan or dish. Place the milk in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
3. Whip the cooled evaporated milk in a large bowl until stiff.
4. Fold the chilled Kool-Aid into the whipped milk.
5. Freeze for about 4 hours
Yes, you can make other flavors of ice cream with Kool-Aid...but why would you want to?

2 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

What a great and original treat. As a non-grape lover, may I request raspberry?

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger daddy d said...

The purple ice cream has a fine texture. Its texture is unlike other ice creams. I could eat lots and lots of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home