Sunday, July 01, 2007

I Always Wanted a Red-headed Grandbaby


"I always wanted a red-headed grandbaby," are the words that my mother, Laura Gray Thompson, said to Daddy D, on our second date when she first met my husband-to-be. Daddy D was blessed with beautiful red hair. At that time, my mother was grandmother to three delightful grandchildren, who were all blue-eyed blonds. I think that most 19 year-old males would have ran out the door with such a suggestion of impending fatherhood. Not our red-headed hero, he stayed for Sukiyaki dinner that I prepared and has stayed with me for 43 more years.

As to the red-headed grandbaby, our oldest son had red hair at birth. However, by the time Dean was five months old, his pretty red hair turned blond. Although Laura did not live to meet her, our lovely daughter-in-law does have luxurious red hair so Laura did get her wish and does have a auburn-haired grandchild or granddaughter-in-law.



To read our about our first date, check out the July 1 entry at Return of the White Robin.

9 Comments:

At 3:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love red hair too, and so I dye mine with a red/auburn highlight..just like my nanna's was naturally.

 
At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a handsome guy - and he stuck around for the dinner too! It just doesn't get any better than that. You have a lovely family, Mjd. And it is growing as we speak!

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

A budding troubadour! I always wanted red or black hair and green eyes. (very unusual) Instead I am brown and brown.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger daddy d said...

Red hair or really any hair is almost a thing of past. The fact that the guy gets something to eat makes a big impression. In that way we know we are liked and there is no fear.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Mike Minzes said...

Great Post again!! Yor are just full of great posts

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My MIL's very first question about our new baby was "what color is her hair". She wasn't very satisfied with our answer that she really didn't have any.

Lots of red heads on both sides of our family

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Lindsey said...

Auburn hair is so pretty!! There was a girl I went to school with who had the prettiest auburn hair and I wished that my hair was that color. I'm so pale though, I don't think it would be the best color for me to dye it. I stick to blonde in the summer and sometimes a light brown come winter. My natural hair color (which I haven't seen in years) is/was a mousy in between blonde and brown color. It was much prettier when I was younger.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Debs said...

Beautiful hair. ;)

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Be Inspired Always said...

What a beautiful family. I never saw a baby with that natural red hair before, he's precious.



Jillian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home