Monday, September 18, 2006

Metal Mothers.

When I was just starting to drive on my learner's permit, it was important to have the right music playing while we motored to and from nearby places like church, the grocery store, McDonalds, etc.

The right music, of course, was thrash, punk, speed metal, hard core, grind core, death metal, grunge, or some combination of the above. There was plenty of stuff which even our local "alternative" radio station wouldn't play, so my brothers and I made our own tapes, judiciously ordering the songs so as to fit onto a 45-minute side without cutting out and flipping over in the middle of a song. A truly epic mixtape was a long time in the making, considering there was no high-speed dubbing available.

All that work was basically for naught, however. About fifteen seconds into the lead-off song, "Chipped Beef," Mom said:

"Turn that off! I can't tell if that's the song or the car making noise!"

4 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger mjd said...

That sounds like my kind of tune, "Chipped Beef," emulating car racket noise?

You describe a diffrent time before MP3 players. I wonder what is next.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger gawilli said...

Welcome! I should have thought of that. Smart girl, your mom. Hmmm. Note to self...

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger willi said...

Sometimes I cruise a long in the truck with the XM playing loudly and think I hear my cell phone ring. I always check it and no one is there. I decided that it must be someone's phone ringing in the recording studio.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Swampwitch said...

Question: Is that a Dogwood Tree on your avatar? Pretty. I have to have music on when I drive. What scares me is when the radio plays a commercial that has a siren in the background. Everytime, I hit the brake, look in my rear view mirror to look for the lights and start to pull over.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home